/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Um...yeah.

I've been home from the hospital since 2PM. Contractions are few and far between. The induction was, uh, fun. I was initially a little unnerved as there was a sign over my bed that read "Research". The nurse strapped me into some monitors. One measured the baby's heartbeat, another measured any potential contractions. I was hooked up for about half an hour or so then they inserted the hormone strip. Another two hours of monitoring and home I went. The contractions were about 15 mins apart on average while I was in hospital, but have slowed down since then.
Now its just a waiting game. I self monitor until 9PM at which time I am to call the ward back and let them know whats happening. If nothing, then I call again at 1AM or "whenever I get up to pee". I think at that point in the morning, they will instruct me on what to do next. My guess is that if nothing has happened by morning, I will go back in for Induction: Round 2 where a gel or drip will be used. Sheesh!
I had 2 nursing students and 2 interns present for most of the time. I don't recall how many were watching the doctor insert the induction strip, but there went any shame I may have been trying to retain. The people there all seemed so young...like a team of Doogie Howsers or something. Except for my actual delivery doctor. I saw him for all of 5 mins when he breezed in to insert the strip and breezed on out again. He was wearing dress pants, a dress shirt and tie. No hospital gear whatsoever. I thought it seemed a little odd..like he could have at least thrown a lab coat on or something.
Ah well...they were all nice people who tended to both me and their jobs well, so I can't really complain... except for the fact that the baby continues to live inside of me instead of outside of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home