/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Friday, May 27, 2005

Sensitive or not?

When Mika is falling asleep or trying to, the slightest noise will jar her back into wakefulness. Yet once she is asleep for only 2 minutes or so, I can vacuum her room without her noticing. Its odd. She has a terrible time falling asleep. Lately, it has taken at least half an hour to get her to sleep. Its quite the ordeal. When I see that she is tired or when its about nap or bedtime, I take her upstairs for a fresh diaper followed by a feed. If she doesn't fall asleep eating, then its game on. There's the holds that sometimes work: on her tummy in your arms, upright looking over the left shoulder, not the right one. On her side with her head resting on the right arm, not the left. If 15-25 mins of bouncing and rocking and cradling in the arms hasn't worked, then its back to feeding. If I gave her a bottle at first, then I must offer boob. If she had been nursing at first, then its a bottle. Often times, I have to be standing and bouncing her while she feeds from the right boob. Like I said above...its quite the ordeal. Only if we're out and about strolling does she ever fall asleep on her own. Or in the car.
Mika usually gets in a solid 6 hour sleep at night now, sometimes more, sometimes less. Usually its about 6 hours though. She feeds well and falls back to sleep easily in the night. Of course, I am one-eyed and mentally functioning at the level of a cucumber when she wakes in the night. I haul her out of her crib, changer her diaper, and cart her back into our room for the rest of the night still. I lay on my side and she feeds. I usually fall back asleep before she is done eating, so i can only assume that she finishes eating and then goes to sleep as well. Though, I have woken up a few times to find that Mika has inchwormed her way over to me, latched on, and started eating. It's kind of a freaky way to wake up. I mentioned this to the Doctor and she told me that it is much funnier when the baby does that to Daddy instead of Mom. I'd love to see the look on Daddy's face as he wakes to Mika trying to feed from him!
We get up in the wee hours of the morning or when Daddy gets up and switch sides. Mika feeds off the other boob and will go back to sleep until 9-ish. Not always though. Every now and again, she and I actually get up between 7 and 8. bad as it is, I prefer when she sleeps til 10AM. :P It will make me doubly sad when she is weaned. Not only will we not have our nursing times together, but I also won't be bringing her back into our bed anymore. I'm sure that once she is mobile, she will find her way there anyway, but still...then it will be annoying...now it's just nice bonding at 3AM.
Mika rarely naps for more than a half hour, 45 mins at best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chair said...

Wow, your post totally reminded me of my own issues with Theya months ago. She was a colicky spud and getting her to sleep was a marathon of patience draining hardship. She was also a cat-napper. Yeeks. If it's any consolation, it can change. I can recommend a book that was recommended to me, if you like. I don't want to be pushy about it, heaven knows I know how much everyone always wants to foster their opinions with a child who has some issues, sleep or otherwise!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Chair said...

Oh yeah, I also wanted to add that when T was 3 months old my hair started falling out. I don't think that it just fell out, it seems to me that it stopped falling out when I was pregnant (so it got nice and thick) then at the 3 months time it fell out to make up for those 9 months of retention. I recently noticed that my naturally curly hair also grew in straight while I was pregnant, so I chopped it. Thanks goodness it's coming back curly again! Crazy, eh?

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home