/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Daddy's Day and 16 Month Birthday, Mika!

A 'hey thanks, man" to all the Papas out there. We have a day of garage sales and Nana's house planned. Woot!

We took Mika to her daycare picnic yesterday. It confirmed for me what I suspected: Mika is just not really into the other kids. It was nice to see other kids interested in her. One girl was raving about Mika's shoes, another older girl came to hang out with the Kanator on the swings and was chatting her up, but Mika remained aloof. She's a little shy. There were a couple of incidents where Mika buried her face into my crotch, but not for long..she turns back around and smiles at whomever. Mika is very much like her Mama. She doesn't mind the other kids so much as she just wants to be left alone to explore and do things on her own. I remember my lack of interest in socializing being an issue when I was 4 and made the change from Montessori to public school. I was told that I *had* to make a friend. It was not a matter of choice. I picked a girl, Dona, who was doing a puzzle because I was hoping that meant I could just do puzzles with my 'friend' instead of playing house or something. Anyway, Mika likes her friend Saoirse. They both parallel play and interact when they're together. Mika is much more interested in Saoirse than any other kid that she's been around that I know of. Well, aside from her ex-boyfriend Sammy who hasn't been seen around the daycare lately. :) In any case, I'm not concerned at all about Mika's social behavior. She's just fussy about people. I would be a little concerned if I had never seen her positively interact with other people her age, considering how much time she spends around other weelings. I prefer to take her independence as a sign that she is less likely to be a follower. She seems more like a content observer who likes to give you a well-thought out commentary later. Maybe it was the Khalil Gibran treasury that I read to Mika when she was a newborn or something...

1 Comments:

Blogger Chair said...

I was the same as a kid and so far all indications show that Theya is, too. I think it will be nice for her (and Mika!) to have a parent that can appreciate and remember what it's like to be so shy, it will help them know that it's OK!!

:^)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home