/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Monday, February 28, 2005

Good and Painful

Mika checked out well at her Dr.'s appt. She decided to have a good nurse before and after, so we didn't get all the visits in that we wanted to downtown.
She lost 20g and grew 1.5 inches, according to the Doc's equipment. We got in trouble for supplementing Mika with formula. At first the Doc said to never do it again, but then she followed up by saying if it must be done, it should be done by Daddy. I have a feeling that formula will be needed tonight as Mika has been feeding for 15 mins every half hour since we got home. She is definitely getting milk as I can hear her swallowing and the diapers tell the tale. She falls asleep after 15 mins and trying to rouse her does nothing. She'll sleep for 15-20 mins and then is up again rooting. Not only am I wondering if there is anything left in these boobs for her to eat right now, but the pain is crazy too. Once every two-four hours is fine. Once every half hour gets painful and fast. I'd rather that she has a couple of formula feeds than having her destroy me to such an extent that I can't even pump milk, let alone nurse her.
Despite the benefits of breastmilk, I am almost envious of the moms who don't or can't nurse and go all formula from the start. As I have said before, I will keep at it for as long as my sanity will allow.

Also...they say you cannot spoil a newborn. Well...for the past day and a half, Mika does not seem to want to sleep alone. She'll sleep on my chest, Daddy's chest, or nestled happily between us in bed. (She'll sleep in the car seat/stroller if we're on the move) I really really didn't want to do the co-sleeping thing, but if it stops the shrieking at 4AM, so be it. Sigh...she knows how to play us already. 10 days old. Great. What will life be like when she is 16?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home