/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Day 25

Whew...another day, another stroll.
Daddy did something really cool this morning. He took the 5:30AM shift! When I heard Mika stirring, I simply poked him and he got up and tended to business. I had planned to stay up and make sure he was really OK with such an early awakening, but fell back into a deep deep sleep before he even got out of the room with the baby. I awoke again at 7:45AM to Mika mewing in her bassinet. I wake before she starts actually wailing and screaming almost every time now. Almost.
Being the lazy girls that we are (hey...being a queen and/or princess allows one to take certain liberties!), Mika and I fell back to sleep for another two hours.
Today I noticed how she is progressing from a newborn to a one-month old. Mika will spend up to half an hour quietly observing and testing her world. I caught her today hitting the toys hanging from her chair. I put her down in it for a quick nap as I knew she would only sleep for 20 mins or so before wanting more food (mother's intuition!) She dozed for maybe 10-15 mins and woke up and seemed to be playing with the toys. I know she is very young and I have also witnessed her accidentally batting the dangly toys. Today, though, she was looking at them and, I swear, swatting deliberately and watching the toy swing back and forth. A week or so ago, she liked it when I would swing the toy when I noticed her staring at one of them. Her movements are becoming a lot less jerky too. Especially her head. She can head-butt like a true Irishwoman. Made the inside of my lip bleed.
I also saw her smile today. And I don't think it was just gas this time. It was a real "Hi Mom, glad you didn't forget about me in this chair and look what I can do now (swat swat at the toy)". I really hate the delay on the digital camera between when you depress the button and when the pic snaps. Even without the flash, its too long of a delay to catch some of the finer baby moments. Needless to say, I don't have a Mika's First Real Smile picture. Except in my mind. Mika's smiling face would melt even the Grinch's heart. Today I saw both the mildly amused 'small' smile and the full, open mouth "I am too happy to contain myself" smile. I was so pleased by her that I had to laugh out loud. I also thought my heart would explode and that I might just cry, but I managed to contain myself.
Mika and I went for a long walk today to the mall. She was having a mid-afternoon freak out that I could not quell. I tried everything that I knew of to calm her and she just kept screaming bloody murder. So I unfolded the stroller and emailed her Daddy to ask that he please pick us up from the mall after work as the forecast called for snow later in the afternoon. As soon as she was in her carseat which was 'clicked' into the stroller, she fell asleep. Mika slept for the walk over to the mall and for the first 10 mins or so of being in the mall. She quietly awoke and was content to listen to the mall din and just look around and absorb everything. Before she had a chance to ask (read: scream loudly), I took her to the parents room at the Bay and checked her diaper and let her have a good feed. She was awake when I put her back into the stroller, but quickly fell asleep. She slept for two and a half hours as I wandered aimlessly through the mall. All I really needed were some more flushable diaper liners and another tub of zinc cream, but being female, I managed to kill all that time in the mall anyway. Got some nice new nursing shirts! whee!
Daddy came and met us after work. We grabbed some noodles from T&T and headed home. Just as it started to snow.
I actually cooked supper tonight too. Me. Cooking. And it tasted good! We had stirfried pepper chicken and broccoli on basmati rice.
Mika had her bath with a little protest tonight and was in her crib by 9pm.
I grabbed Daddy's last beer and headed into the bath myself after Mika's bath. My half hour of much needed alone time with a cold beer, hot bath, and new bath pillow. Ok, its really just one of Grandma Sherman's empty wine bags, but it makes a fine bath pillow and she didn't even charge me the 30 cent recycle refund to take it home with me last saturday. Am I easy to please or what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home