/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Thursday, July 21, 2005

New Hope

I really hope that Mika will fall asleep easier when the weather turns cool again. This business of having to go for a walk every night, sometimes 2-4 times is fine, but also not fine. It's good that Mika gets us out there and walking, but it would be nice if she would just go to sleep when she gets tired instead of fighting it. Bouncing her used to do the trick, but when its so warm, she does not want to be held. Fair enough. As of Monday, we'll be living in St. Albert for a couple of weeks..in a house, not a condo. A house with a cool basement and AC upstairs. A house with a yard and beautiful garden! A house with a giant plasma display TV and a pool table. Whee! Housesitting for the Shermans while they vacation in Tofino. I'm pretty excited about it, even though it means I will be bussing between the west end and St. Albert daily. I'd bring my cats with me, but well, you know how well cats tend to make friends with other cats. There are two spayed older female cats at the Shermans and I have a feeling that bringing two older neutered males into the home for two weeks would be a recipe for disaster. Daddy has the first week of August booked off work, so that will make going between the Shermans and our place a bit easier. Thank Jeebus for multi purpose baby items. Mika's playyard will serve as a baby jail, change table, and bassinet, thanks to the various attachments. With a canopy to ward off curious cats and sunshine (only one more month before we can use sunscreen!). I think the Shermans have a highchair stashed in their basement.
We finally broke down and got an exersaucer for Mika. I had checked out garage sales and stuff, but either couldn't find an exersaucer or found ones that I wouldn't put my child in even after disinfecting. We grabbed one that can be taken apart and used as a playset once she is too big to exersauce anymore. I wanted to get as much potential usage from this huge hunk of plastic as possible, given the cost of these things. Hopefully, Mika will have an interest in playing with cars as the playset is more or less a figure 8 car track. In any event, she LOVES being in the saucer. I had to put one of the couch cushions at the bottom because her legs are still a bit short to stand properly.
I was going to take Mika to the Klondike Days parade this morning, but chickened out. I'm kind of glad that I didn't take her. It would have been mayhem, I'm sure. We watched a bit of it on TV and saw Mika's Uncle Justin! He's a cheerleader with the EE cheer team.
Ugh...I have bottles, diapers, and clothes to wash..best be getting to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chair said...

We braved the mayhem for the K Days parade... or at least a part of it. I had no intention of standing around for the entire thing, we left about halfway through. I wanted to beat the LRT/traffic chaos, it was already an hour past Stinkys bedtime and I was hungry. Besides, one can only appreciate so many marching bands. That said, I want to join one. Seriously.

AND: Here's my I Had A Spud Who It Was Torturous To Get To Sleep, Too advice:
Use the time in the air-conditioned home to get Mika into a bedtime schedule. Do the same series of wind-down things every night so she gets used to it, so when you get back home, even if it's a bit warm, she'll know that it's bedtime when you do the routine. I know it's a thing that is totally pushed and all, but seriously, it changed my life. Sometimes she doesn't even want to nurse and cuddle anymore because she knows the bedtime routine and she's tired enough to just want to be put down. It's totally freaking amazing.

There. I'll shut up now.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saoirse gets some height-help courtesy of three folded towels since she started sitting in her 'car' around 3mos...

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home