/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Time Flies

It's been a busy past couple of weeks. Mika is finally on the mend. Turns out that she picked up one of the Strep A strains at daycare. Her doctor had found a couple of ear infections (inner ear on one side, middle ear on the other) a day prior to the Strep results, so the medication for the ear infections is expected to clear up the Strep as well. Ugh. My poor little nugget. I think she's lost about a quarter of her body weight in ear discharge alone. Things are getting back to normal now though and Mika already seems 100% better after only 3.5 days of medication.
Grandpa and Grandma Barb are currently en route back home to Ontario after about a 10 day visit here in Edmonton. As is often the case with visits from out of town, the time went too quickly. Thanks for Mika's gloworm and uber-cool Peruvian looking hat! And for the family history book! Mika and I can now easily trace our Norwegian roots back to the mid 1700's! Aside to my Mom: Thanks for not letting Dad name me 'Brynhilda'!
Mika didn't play strange too much with her Grandpa and Grandma Barb. Not like we've seen her do with other people where she won't even crack a smile or worse, she just screams and cries in their presence. She was even offering Grandpa some of her most prized possessions: Cheerios!
Mika became better acquainted with her Nana recently too. Mika wasn't supposed to go back to daycare until she had a couple of days on her medication. Daddy and I had been taking a lot of time off work to look after her and it was starting to get to the point where he and I were concerned that our respective workplaces would see this as a problem. Nana to the rescue. She came over first thing Friday morning so that I could go into work and complete what absolutely needed to be done before heading back home. Daddy and I had plans with Clan Thompson for dinner on Saturday night that we knew would run well past Mika's bedtime, so Nana dropped by again on Saturday evening to look after the Nugget. Mika ended up staying up until we got home anyway - she was sound asleep within 10 minutes of our arrival. Then I had to work on Sunday plus we wanted to go and visit with G, so we dropped Mika off at Nana's for the afternoon. (It's a short trip from Nana's to G's) 3 straight days of Nana!

Mika's balance is noticeably improved since being on medication. She's started to stand up and try walking on her own without encouragement finally. She was also making new sounds yesterday. I feel so badly for not realizing she had ear infection earlier, but she was exhibiting no signs. At least it's being taken care of now and Daddy and I are more aware and informed and can watch her more closely for signs of recurrence.

AND Saoirse is moving in today!! Well, moving into one of the penthouse suites of one of the highrises that are part of my condo complex. Kris: Gah...saw that you called last night. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to remain conscious past 9:30 P.M. - I'll call you later!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynanne said...

Don't feel bad, when my son was a toddler, he perforated his ear drum before I realized he had an infection (and with my background, you'd think I'd know better.) Some children just don’t complain much about being sick and when they do, it’s impossible to figure out what specifically is troubling them.

How exciting that Mika's made such giant leaps forward in development! Look out world, here she comes!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home