/* blogroll stuff ----------------------------------------------- */

Monday, July 25, 2005

Wal Mart No More!

Hrm..the stirring has ceased and Mika is still asleep. Now I have time to do a proper post, but am very tired and not thinking well. As such, I have no idea what to blog about. Lesse...
Daddy is big into boycotts. One of his targets is Wal Mart. He hates the Wal Mart for a variety of reasons, most of which I agree with. Seeing as I don't drive and the nearest Wal Mart is located conveniently on the highway, I rely on Daddy to haul my sorry ass if I want a Wal Mart adventure. Against his better judgment, Daddy has taken me to Wal Mart three times since Mika's birth. The first time, I don't even remember WHY we went there. There must have been a reason, but it evades me now. Nonetheless, I came out of the place with a tonne of goods. The second time was more recent and we had a reason: Daddy wanted to try this chemical free clog clearing thing. It was supposedly only available at Wal Mart. They didn't have it. So that was that. Even more recently, we'd been shopping around for an exersaucer for Mika. Hoping to find a great price, I asked ever-so-nicely to be taken to the Wal Mart. Within seconds, my request to go price out exersaucers and nothing more turned into a minimum 5 item list. We didn't get the exersaucer, but I managed to collect an armful of items that I *needed* and we headed for the checkout. Except I couldn't do it. I had some kind of quiet neurotic breakdown and could not make myself purchase anything. I tossed my armload of goods into the discount cart that they always have near the checkouts and made for the exit. We ended up walking to Zellers later and getting the saucer there. Daddy, brave and foolish, actually carried the thing home. The saucer boxes are fairly big, bulky, and a bit heavy..but he was determined.
Anyway, so goes the end of Rollback pricing for this family. Even though Mika's flushable poo-catching liners cost $2 less at Wal Mart than anywhere else that I have seen them. When I stop and consider, though, I'd rather give $7 to Earth's General Store than $5 to Wal Mart. OK, I'd rather that my 5 month old was poo trained, but, well, ya know....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a better woman than I. Rob, too wants to ban that atrocious store. I still buy my Kushies liners there. In fact, I forgot that EGS had them! I did try to buy them at Zellers, but they didn't have them.
We're also paying about 4X as much for photos at Sears...

10:06 PM  
Blogger Chair said...

J and I abhor HellMart, too, and we both REFUSE to shop there. The few times I've been in (dragged by insistant friends or exchanging a baby gift that we already had three of) I get all weird feeling in there. I also find everyone in there tends to be impatient and grumpy so it's not hard to try to avoid being there.

As for photos, if you have a Costco card, you can get prints for something like 25 cents each, cheaper than HellMart, even!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant going to get studio pix, but thanks for the tip- I DO have a Costco card!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Mama_T said...

Kushies liners can also be found at the Bay and Sears. $4.97 (or something) at Wal-Mart, min. $6.99 everywhere else.
Yeah, I felt violent and angry as soon as I went through the Wal Mart doors. Every. Time. Hence your experience with impatient and grumpy people, Chair!
Thanks for the Costco tip. We haven't gone in there since Mika was born, but I think the time is soon coming! Their cat litter rules and I dig their produce section too. And the clothes. And the meat dept. And their maple syrup. And that insane candy aisle. oooh..and cheap granola bars!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walmart is not that bad....who else will employ seniors who otherwise would not have a job?

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

We too hate Walmart. As you mentioned, it is very easy to avoid going there now that they have moved away from the malls, and onto the highways. We buy the majority of our baby stuff at Zellers or Sears, it may be a bit more expensive, but shopping there doesnt make me feel dirty.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home